APPRENTICESHIP - NO
At a glance
Flagperson (aka Flagman/Flagwoman, 'flagger') may perform the following duties:
- Direct and control traffic (motoring and pedestrian) safely in and through the work zone.
- Direct site equipment when working in close proximity of traffic and other hazards and obstructions. Communicating and interacting with the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Protect workers by keeping work space free of traffic and warning them of approaching hazards
- Assist trucks in accessing and exiting work sites and directing them where to dump loads
- Assist with set up and maintenance of project signage and barricades including daily barricade reports
After gaining work experience as flagperson and completion of atwo day training certificate, you can become a Traffic Control Coordinator. Some of the duties in this position may include:
- Discuss project goals with site supervisor in order to plan activities
- Coordinate and create work schedules of flagpersons on projects/ work sites
- Set up signs for the projects according to the Traffic Management Plan (TMP)
Work environments for flagpersons.
Specialized skills required
Some ideal skills for flagpersons are the following:
Essential Skills Profiles
The Government of Canada Job Bank has identified Nine Literacy and Essential Skills (Reading, Writing, Document Use, Numeracy, Computer Use, Thinking, Oral Communication, Working with Others, and Continuous Learning).
Below you will find links to the Essential Skills Profiles for this occupation and/or related ones.
|Flagperson||Minimum wage - $18.00/hour|
|Traffic Control Coordinator||$18.50/ hour - $22.75/hour|
Source: MHCA staff and industry expert for Hugh Munro Construction Ltd
Every year, the Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) Construction Sector releases Minimum Wage Schedules for Manitoba. Below are the minimum wage rates for this career.
|Minimum Wage Rate||January 1, 2017|
In Manitoba, flagpersons are required to hold an industry standard training certificate. This certificate can be obtained from the following training providers:
For flagpersons who want to move to the next level in their field, they will need to take a 2 day training session to become a Traffic Control Coordinator.