Health & Safety Manager
APPRENTICESHIP - NO
At a glance
Health and Safety Managers perform a variety of tasks that ensure workplaces are safe for the public and the general public. Some other duties may include.
- Conduct safety and environmental audits
- Investigate health and safety related complaints, spills of hazardous chemicals, and workplace accidents
- Inspect workplaces to ensure that equipment, materials do not present a safety or health hazard to employees or to the general public
- Develop, implement and evaluate health and safety programs and strategies
- Initiate enforcement procedures to fine or to close an establishment contravening municipal, provincial or federal regulations
- Provide consultation and deliver training programs to employers, employees and the general public on issues of public health, environmental protection or workplace safety.
Click below to watch this career in action!
Source: Techsploration NS
Work environments for health and safety managers vary depending on the construction site. They may be expected to drive to different project sites to conduct their work. Also, they may work in classrooms delivery training to staff and they may find themselves doing administrative task in an office or while on the road in their work trucks.
Source: Manitoba Heavy Construction Association and Industry expert form Hugh Munro Construction
Essential Skills Profiles
The Government of Canada Job Bank has identified Nine Literacy and Essential Skills (Reading, Writing, Document Use, Numeracy, Computer Use, Thinking, Oral Communication, Working with Others, and Continuous Learning).
Below you will find links to the Essential Skills Profiles for this occupation and/or related ones.
Below is a sample career path and salary range in Manitoba;s heavy construction industry
|Job Title||Salary Range||Sample Duties|
|Health & Safety Coordinator||$35,000 - $45, 000/ year||
|Health & Safety Manager/
National Construction Safety Officer
|$45,000 - $60, 000/ year||
|Health & Safety Environment Manager||$60,000 - $100, 000/ year||