The High School Apprenticeship Program (HSAP) lets you start apprenticeship while you are still in high school. It links regular Senior Years school instruction with paid, part-time, on-the-job apprenticeship training. You need a qualified and insured employer who will train you as an apprentice.
The HSAP coordinator at Apprenticeship Manitoba will work with you, your employer, and your school Guidance Counsellor to ensure that you meet all academic graduation requirements, and that you're scheduled for work when you are not taking required high school classes.
Depending on the high school, you can find numerous HSAPs within Manitoba. Visit these links to learn which school offer Apprenticeship Manitoba accredited programming in your trade.
- Building and Trades Technology
- Electrical/ Electronics
- Heating/ Ventilation/ Air Conditioning
- Machining Technology
Benefits to HSAP
- Earn up to eight supplemental academic credits for graduation
- Have the chance to use state-of-the-art technology at work
- Be paid a trade-specific rate of pay that is more than minimum wage
- Use this work experience to get a full-time job
- Apply your on-the-job hours to full-time apprenticeship training after graduation
- Earn credits for your work experience if you later decide to be an apprentice in another trade
- Use the skills you learn for a career in management or to start your own business
Talk to your school guidance counsellor or contact the HSAP Coordinator in Winnipeg at 204 - 945-3337. Toll-free from within Manitoba, call 1-877-978-7233.