What You Need Before You Start

Get the Job

What You Need Before You Start

Before you start your first day of work in construction, you may need to purchase items to help you do your job safely. Also, holding certain trade related certificates or certifications can show the company that you mean business!

The list below should give you a head start to start work in the construction industry. But always remember to check with the employer for the exact items you need for the job you will perform.

1. Personal Protective Equipment

* These items depend on the type of construction work you will perform.

Clothing for Women in the Trades

Hey, ladies, some of you may find it challenging to find work clothes that fit you properly. Here are a few websites to help you decide what to wear for the worksite.

2. Certificates/Certification

Note: Some certificates require re-certification on an annual basis.

Required Recommended
  • Manitoba Class 5 Drivers License

  • Clean Driver's Abstract
  • First Aid/CPR Training
  • WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous
    Materials Information System)

  • Manitoba CLass 3 or Class 1 Driver's License

  • Clean Driver's Abstract

Training with MHCA* (full or half day)

  • Roadbuilders Safety Training System

  • Flagperson Training with Practicum

  • Confined Space

  • Environment Awareness

  • Excavation and Trenching/Ground Disturbance

  • Fall Protection

  • Lock Out

  • TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods)

  • Working Alone

*Manitoba Heavy Construction Association